Also known as Estate Administration, probate is the legal process of transferring ownership of a person’s assets after they pass away. This involves paying debts and creditors and then allocating money and property among the heirs or beneficiaries.
Finding your way through the probate process can be like navigating a maze. You must find your way through new terminology, confusing paperwork, and numerous legal requirements, all while dealing with the emotions of having lost someone you love
The experienced attorneys at Tomac & Tomac have overseen and assisted with the administration of thousands of estates and can assist you with:
- Funeral Arrangements
- Probating the Will
- Beneficiary Representation
- Qualification of Personal Representatives (Executor/Administrator)
- Finding, Managing and Administering Estate Assets
- Fiduciary Reporting
- Virginia – Circuit Court Probate Office and Commissioner of Accounts
- Maryland – Register of Wills and Orphan’s Court
- Heir Determination
- Claim Resolution
- Creditor Representation
- Will Contests
Not all assets go through the probate process (i.e., life insurance, retirement accounts, assets held in trust). Tomac & Tomac can also assist you with the administration of these assets.